Starting Again + Dinnertime Woes

A couple weeks on a fast from Facebook and BOOM! Once again, I feel the urge to blog. Though the one-sided conversations in my head were never really tamed by Facebook, status posts did momentarily satisfy my need to share with the world. And unlike on my old blog, fb people quite often respond with comments of their own. Well, how very gratifying!

So, here’s a new twist: I’ll see if I can be active on fb and blog at the same time. Facebook to give me the social interaction I sorely miss, living out here in my isolated rural splendor… and blogging as a way to offload – um, I mean communicate – the thoughts I have that are over the heads of the two little girls who share my days.


Since food and gratitude continue to dominate my existence, I think the old Recipes for Abundance blog title can be kept. Even so, there will likely be fewer recipes and more stories/musings on parenting, partnering and living intentionally. I may throw in a few poems when the inspiration strikes.


**For those of you reading this who put the bug in my ear about restarting the blog, I owe you a big thank you for the encouragement. Even if you were just trying to get me to blab less and write more, I appreciate the nudge.**

I’ll leave you today with something from a book I’ve been reading lately, and the promise/warning of more reflections on this topic to come. The book is called The Hour that Matters Most: The Surprising Power of the Family Meal, by Les and Leslie Parrott. It’s full of lots of useful psychological study factoids, cute anecdotes and parenting tips, but this simple quote is what got my attention the other day:

“Better a dry crust eaten in peace than a house filled with feasting – and conflict.” Proverbs 17:1

Whoa there. I don’t know about how meals go at your house, but eating as a family at our house is often full of tension. Most days, I definitely prefer the time I spend preparing our tasty/all-food-groups-represented meals to the half hour we share at the dinner table, where Stephen and I grimly police the eating behaviors of two squirrely children. This is something I hope to change, but am struggling as to how to do it.

One (childless) friend recommends hiding the kids’ food in the backyard and making them search for it when they get hungry, an option I’m definitely going to exercise in the summer months. But for now they sit at table, bawling with unchewed food spilling from their open mouths, their seats and the floor below them covered in crumbs, their full water glasses knocked over onto the tablecloth. Calgon, take me away… if you have any strategies that make for a more enjoyable dinner time, fire away.

2 comments:

  1. It helps if they like the food and if they are hungry but not very tired. You can't please everybody all of time, but they must have favorite foods that they eat right up? Spaghetti? There's a lot of good nutrition you can hide in spaghetti sauce (brewer's yeast & kale come to mind). If you hide brewer's yeast in many things your whole family will be in a better mood because of the vitamin Bs. I used an old book, "Confessions of a Sneaky Cook" but my sister uses "Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food" by Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's wife) My sister's daughter is the pickiest eater on the planet & this book has worked for her. Running in the fresh air right before dinner might help whet the appetite. M. Evelyn used to sauté garlic, whether or not she was using it to cook, just to whet Julianna's appetite & it worked.

    I just ordered "Make Ahead Meals Made Healthy" as a public radio premium. It will take a while to get here, but it's freezer meals. Maybe when it comes we could make some together? They sound kid-friendly. Best wishes to you all -Nadia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nadia! Love what you shared - have never tried brewer's yeast but better moods around here is a lovely concept. Sneaking stuff in is the easy part. Getting them to focus and eat it is quite a different story on most nights! Perhaps they're just not hungry or too tired to eat, I wonder. When you get your freezer meals book, I'd love to know if it has many vegetarian meals - most of them don't seem to, which is why I haven't really gone that route. But would love to cook/meal prep with you sometime! Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete